The Hearth and Grill Shop will host its 7th Annual Backyard Challenge Amateur Bar-B-Q Cook Off on Saturday, June 4th, 2011. Teams will compete for over $6,000.00 in cash and prizes. The team entry fee of $75.00 qualifies each team for the Gas and Charcoal Divisions. For each Division there is a Chicken and Rib Category. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes will be awarded in each category. By participating in both divisions and each of the categories, a team is then eligible for the Grand Prize of a Big Green Egg. There will also be a Dessert category that does not factor into the Grand Prize judging, however big on bragging rights.
Team set up begins as early as 4:30 pm on Friday, June 3rd, 2011, with meat inspections beginning at 6:00 pm that night. All contestants must be set up by 8:00 am Saturday morning. Judging begins at noon on Saturday with prizes awarded at 3:00 pm.
Big Green Egg, Firemagic, Weber, Tennessee Golf Cars, and Broilmaster Grills will be sponsoring the event, which not only includes the Backyard Challenge, but also cooking demonstrations, door prizes, free bottle water and sodas. There will also be the Biggest One Day Sale of the year that day. Gas and Charcoal Grills, Gas Logs, Fireplaces will all have a special One Day Sale Price lower than the rest of the year.
For more information contact:
Jeff M. Lunsford
The Hearth and Grill Shop
535 Thompson Lane
Nashville, TN 37211
See below for official rules or CLICK HERE for Downloadable PDF.
CLICK HERE for the official ENTRY FORM in PDF.
BACKYARD CHALLENGE OFFICIAL RULES
1) Entry fee will be $75.00 to enter in either or both divisions: Charcoal or Gas
2) Chicken and Pork Rib (no country ribs). You must enter both the Gas and Charcoal divisions and have entries in both the Chicken and Rib categories to be eligible for Grand Championship.
3) All meat must be inspected, in original store wra
pper and in a cooler with ice, and must be held at 40 degrees.
4) After meat is inspected, you may begin to marinate products. Meat inspection will start at 6:00pm Friday though 8:00am Saturday.
5) No food products are to be sold or given to public from cook site.
6) A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner will be awarded in for both Divisions in each category.
7) Turn in times: 12:00 Chicken; 1:00 pm – Ribs; 1:45 pm – Dessert. 2:30 –3:00 pm Awards.
8) You will have five (5) minutes before and five (5) minutes after the hour to turn in your entries to judges.
9) Containers for judging turn-in will be provided. You must turn in at least 6 samples. Example: 6 ribs; 6 chicken thighs, etc.
10) Entries will be judged on appearance, tenderness/ texture and taste in accordance with Kansas City BBQ Society rules.
11) When you finish cooking, a container will be provided for your hot ashes, excess grease etc. please use this container to avoid fires and help keep your area clean.
12) Your cooking area must be as clean as you found it. Garbage containers will be provided. Must have a gray water container and cleaning containers with a solution of water and bleach.
13) Do not have any open fires on the ground. Use a charcoal starter (chimney or start the fire in your cooker). All grill fires must be contained.
14) You will have a 10 x 10 cook site area designated for you. Those needing more space need to notify the Backyard Challenge coordinator for possible consideration as available.
15) Access to electricity and electric extension cords will be available on a limited basis and may not be available to all areas of the competition. Those requiring an electric outlet need to notify the Backyard Challenge coordinator prior to the event for possible consideration, as available.
16) You may cook with gas, wood, or charcoal.
17) Water and ice will not be provided.
18) The decisions by the judges will be final. A MANDATORY cooks meeting will be held Saturday, June 4th at 8:00am to go over rules and questions.
19) No pets, fireworks, or firearms are allowed on grounds.
20) Failure to follow the above rules may cause your entry to be disqualified.
21) Value of Awards will be in excess of $6,000 in cash, prizes, and products.
22) Set up times will be Friday June 3rd, 6-10pm & June 4th , 6-8am. NO exceptions. Overnight security will be provided for the event and access to restrooms will be available.
23) You must be 18 years of age to compete. 18 or younger, a parent or guardian must be present at all times.
24) Hearth and Grill Shop, vendors, sponsors and any other participating entities shall not be held liable for any injury or loss.
Competition Tips: Don’t forget tables, chairs, awning, or other covering. Have plenty of water and ice on hand. If you are competing in the Dessert Category – Freezer space is extremely limited. Consider a Dessert that does not require Frozen Items, i.e. Ice cream. Do a checklist of what you will need. Containers will be provided for judging turn- in. Plan ahead to have fun.
Grand Champion Prize: ~ Large Big Green Egg*
1st, 2nd, & 3rd place cash and prizes awarded in each category.
Sponsors: Big Green Egg, Firemagic, Pepsi Bottling Group, Broilmaster, Weber, and Music City Metals
Disclaimer: Rules and /or prize category awards subject to change in regards to sponsorships.
Location: Hearth and Grill Shop
535 Thompson Lane
Nashville, TN 37211
(615) 255 4551
Pictures of Last Years Annual Backyard Challenge BBQ Cook-Off
The Hearth and Grill Shop Annual Backyard Challenge BBQ Cook-Off
The Hearth and Grill Shop Awards Great Prizes each year for the Winners
Last Years Contestants Preparing their Pork Ribs
The San Rafael Quartet Provides Wonderful Music all day long
Smokers and Grills of all sizes participate each year
Participants take their Grilling very Serious on this Day at Hearth and Grill Shop
Some Backyard Challenge BBQ Cook-Off Teams fine time to lay back and rest
Some participants get in some much needed sleep after a long night of getting ready
Ribs and Chickens are Items of the Day...Can't you Smell It???
The Big Green Egg is a Popular Choice of Backyard Challenge BBQ Cook-Off Participants
Oh My....Can you do it any better then this???
Each Team prepares their BBQ for the Judges
Backyard Challenge BBQ Cook-Off Teams Receive Points for Presentation
Backyard Challenge BBQ Cook-Off Judges take their judging very serious
Each Backyard Challenge Judge totals his own points for each entry
Desserts are also a big part of the day at the Annual Backyard Challenge BBQ Cook-Off
Peach Cobbler in a Cast Iron Skillet in the Smoker...Whoa!!! I can't wait!!!