- When: Saturday, June 2nd
- Where: At The Heath and Grill Shop
- Entry Fee: $75.00
- Gas and Charcoal Divisions
- Chicken and Rib Categories
- Dessert Category
- Cook’s Meeting 8:00 am, Saturday Morning
- Judging Begins at Noon
- Sponsored by: Big Green Egg, Firemagic, Weber, Broilmaster, Music City Metals, Pepsi Bottling Group.
- One Day Sale
- Door Prizes
- Over $7,000.00 in Cash and Prizes
The Hearth & Grill Shop is proudly hosting the 8th Annual Backyard Challenge BBQ Cook-Off! We invite you to assemble your team and join in this year’s competition or just come by the Hearth and Grill store to what all the fun is about.
This year’s competition will be held on Saturday, June 2nd at The Hearth & Grill Shop. 26 teams participated in last year’s event and the number of teams competing will only get larger, so booth space will be at a premium. Competition space will be first come – first served, so enter as soon as possible, to guarantee your spot for this years Challenge.
Teams will compete for over $6,000.00 in cash and prizes. This year’s entry fee is flat rate of $75.00, which covers both the Gas and Charcoal Divisions. The entire entry fee goes directly to the Cash Prizes. Once again, the format will consist of Gas and Charcoal Divisions. Each Division has a Chicken and Rib Category. Cash and prizes will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers in each of the four Categories. The Grand Prize, a Large Big Green Egg, goes to the team that shows the best overall score in the Chicken and Rib Categories in BOTH the Gas and Charcoal Divisions. The Dessert category will not affect the Grand Prize standings, however, there will be a cash prize and bragging rights for the winner of the Dessert category.
Not only do we host the Backyard Challenge, but their will also be cooking demonstrations, door prizes, free bottle water and sodas. We will also have the Largest One Day Sale of the year. Gas and Charcoal Grills, Gas Logs, Fireplaces will all have a special One Day Sale Price lower than the rest of the year.
With your participation, The 8th Annual Backyard Challenge will be bigger and better than ever. Enter now and get your team together for the 8th Annual Backyard Challenge BBQ Cook-Off.
Thank you for your participation in advance. For more information please contact me.
Jeff M. Lunsford
The Hearth & Grill Shop
(615) 244-6947 fax
Backyard Challenge Official Rules
- Entry fee will be $75.00 to enter in either or both divisions: Charcoal or Gas
- Chicken and Pork Ribs (no country ribs). You must enter both the Gas and Charcoal divisions and have entries in both the Chicken and Rib categories to be eligible for Grand Championship.
- All meat must be inspected, in original store wrapper and in a cooler with ice, and must be held at 40 degrees.
- After meat is inspected, you may begin to marinate products. Meat inspection will start at 6:00pm Friday though 8:00am Saturday.
- No food products are to be sold or given to public from cook sites.
- A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner will be awarded in for both Divisions in each category.
- Turn in times: 12:00 Chicken; 1:00 pm – Ribs; 1:45 pm – Dessert. 2:30 –3:00 pm Awards.
- You will have five (5) minutes before and five (5) minutes after the hour to turn in your entries to judges.
- Containers for judging turn-in will be provided. You must turn in at least 6 samples. Example: 6 ribs; 6 chicken thighs, etc.
- Entries will be judged on appearance, tenderness/ texture and taste in accordance with Kansas City BBQ Society rules.
- When you finish cooking, a container will be provided for your hot ashes, excess grease etc. please use this container to avoid fires and help keep your area clean.
- Your cooking area must be as clean as you found it. Garbage containers will be provided. Must have a gray water (SANITIZING SOLUTION) container and cleaning containers with a solution of water and bleach.
- Do not have any open fires on the ground. Use a charcoal starter (chimney or start the fire in your cooker). All grill fires must be contained.
- You will have a 10 x 10 cook site area designated for you. Those needing more space need to notify the Backyard Challenge Coordinator for possible consideration as available.
- PARKING – Each team will be allowed ONE (1) Team vehicle and ONE (1) Team parking space near the Competition Cooking Area. All others associated with the team are to park as advised by the competition staff.
- There is no parking allowed in the Competition Cooking Area, only unload and load.
- RV and overnight parking is limited. First come, First serve. Electricity is limited to the RV parking area.
- Access to electricity and electric extension cords will be available on a limited basis and may not be available to all areas of the competition. Those requiring an electric outlet need to notify the Backyard Challenge coordinator prior to the event for possible consideration, as available.
- You may cook with gas, wood, or charcoal.
- Water and ice will not be provided.
- A MANDATORY cooks meeting will be held Saturday, June 2nd at 8:00am to go over rules and questions.
- No pets, fireworks, or firearms are allowed on grounds.
- Failure to follow the above rules may cause your entry to be disqualified.
- Value of Awards will be in excess of $7,000 in cash, prizes, and products.
- Set up times will be Friday June 1st , 6-10pm & June 2nd , 6-8am. NO exceptions. Overnight security will be provided for the event and access to restrooms will be available.
- You must be 18 years of age to compete. 18 or younger, a parent or guardian must be present at all times.
- Hearth and Grill Shop, vendors, sponsors and any other participating entities shall not be held liable for any injury or loss.
- The decisions by the judges will be final.
Competition Tips: Don’t forget tables, chairs, awning, or other covering. Have plenty of water and ice on hand. If you are competing in the Dessert Category – Freezer space is extremely limited. Consider a Dessert that does not require Frozen Items, i.e. Ice cream. Do a checklist of what you will need. Containers will be provided for judging turn- in.
**Plan ahead to have fun**
Grand Champion Prize: ~ Large Big Green Egg*
*1st, 2nd, & 3rd place cash and prizes awarded in each category.
Sponsors: Big Green Egg, Firemagic, Pepsi Bottling Group, Broilmaster, Weber, and Music City Metals
*Rules and /or prize category awards subject to change in regards to sponsorships.
Location: Hearth and Grill Shop
535 Thompson Lane
Nashville, TN 37211
(615) 255 4551