The Hearth and Grill Shop will host its 6th Annual Backyard Challenge BBQ Cook-Off on Saturday, June 5th, 2010. Teams will compete for over $6000 in cash and prizes. The team entry fee of $75, qualifies each team for the Gas and Charcoal Divisions. For Each division, there is a Chicken & Rib Category. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes will be awarded in each category. By participating in both divisions and each of the categories, a team is then eligible for the Grand Prize of a Big Green Egg. There will also be a Dessert category that does not factor into the Grand Prize judging.
Team set up begins as early as 4:30pm on Friday, June 4th with meat inspections beginning at 6:00pm that evening. All contestants must be set up by 8:00am Saturday morning. Judging begins at noon on Saturday with prizes awarded at 3:00pm.
Big Green Egg, Firemagic, Weber, and Broilmaster Grills will all be sponsoring the event, which not only includes The Backyard Challenge, but also cooking demonstrations, door prizes, live music, free bottled water and sodas. There will also be the “Biggest One Day Sale” of the year that day. Gas and Charcoal Grills, Gas Logs, Fireplaces will all have a special ONE DAY SALE PRICE lower than the rest of the year.
See below for official rules or in PDF.
Get the official “Entry Form” in PDF.
For more information contact:
Jeff M. Lunsford
The Hearth and Grill Shop
535 Thompson Lane
Nashville, TN 37211
Backyard Challenge rules:
1) Entry fee will be $75.00 to enter in either or both divisions: Charcoal or Gas
2) Chicken and Pork Rib (no country ribs). You must enter both the Gas and Charcoal divisions and have entries in both the Chicken and Rib categories to be eligible for Grand Championship.
3) All meat must be inspected, in original store wrapper and in a cooler with ice, and must be held at 40 degrees.
4) After meat is inspected, you may begin to marinate products. Meat inspection will start at 6:00pm Friday though 8:00am Saturday.
5) No food products are to be sold or given to public from cook site.
6) A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner will be awarded in for both Divisions in each category.
7) Turn in times: 12:00 Chicken; 1:00 pm – Ribs; 1:45 pm – Dessert. 2:30 –3:00 pm Awards.
8) You will have five (5) minutes before and five (5) minutes after the hour to turn in your entries to judges.
9) Containers for judging turn-in will be provided. You must turn in at least 6 samples. Example: 6 ribs; 6 chicken thighs, etc.
10) Entries will be judged on appearance, tenderness/ texture and taste in accordance with Kansas City BBQ Society rules.
11) When you finish cooking, a container will be provided for your hot ashes, excess grease etc. please use this container to avoid fires and help keep your area clean.
12) Your cooking area must be as clean as you found it. Garbage containers will be provided. Must have a gray water container and cleaning containers with a solution of water and bleach.
13) Do not have any open fires on the ground. Use a charcoal starter (chimney or start the fire in your cooker). All grill fires must be contained.
14) You will have a 10 x 10 cook site area designated for you. Those needing more space need to notify the Backyard Challenge coordinator for possible consideration as available.
15) You may cook with gas, wood, or charcoal.
16) Water and ice will not be provided.
17) The decisions by the judges will be final. A MANDATORY cooks meeting will be held Saturday, June 5th at 8:00am to go over rules and questions.
18) No pets, fireworks, or firearms are allowed on grounds.
19) Failure to follow the above rules may cause your entry to be disqualified.
20) Value of Awards will be in excess of $5,000 in cash, prizes, and products.
21) Set up times will be Friday June 4th, 6-10pm & June 5th , 6-8am. NO exceptions. Security will be provided for event.
22) You must be 18 years of age to complete. 18 or younger, a parent or guardian must be present at all times.
23) Hearth and Grill Shop, vendors, sponsors and any other participating entities shall not be held liable for any injury or loss.